The Water Street District of Downtown Henderson is celebrating not only it’s reemergence as a Destination of Choice with exciting new restaurants, bars and, soon, our new neighbors the Las Vegas Golden Knight’s practice rinks, but also it rich heritage.
Join the city of Henderson and the Emerald Island on April 27th, 2019 from noon until 10pm, for the “Recalling Industrial Days – Celebrating Henderson’s Heritage” event on the Henderson Events Plaza just a short walk from the Emerald Island Casino.
This fun event will feature a car display with vehicles representing each decade from the 50s through the 80s, a Pie-Eating Contest, Decades Costume Contest with prizes, a street dance on the plaza, live music featuring Sierra Black and the Mayor & Council Barbeque and Community Dinner (free of charge while supplies last)
Built in the 1940s as the housing and business district to support the workers at the Basic Magnesium Pant, Downtown Henderson Historic District is fast developing into a vibrant entertainment venue.
Did you know that:
- The homes surrounding the Water Street District are the original homes that were built to house the workers at Basic Magnesium in Henderson’s heyday
- The business district sprang up to provide goods and services to those workers
- Many of the original structures from old town Henderson still stand and have gone through many evolutions to create the current Downtown cityscape.
- The Rainbow Club was once a grocery store
- The Emerald Island Casino was opened in May of 2003 by twin brothers Tim and Mike Brooks. The casino will be celebrating its 16th Anniversary on May 18, 2019.
- The Victory Theater once stood in the Emerald Island’s back parking lot
- The Water Street District houses the City of Henderson Administration, Courthouse, Detention Center and Police and Fire Departments.
- The Water street District is attracting new and vibrant businesses including TSK Architects and Public Works Coffee Bar on the South end and Lovelady Brewing Company, the newly remodeled Gold Mine Tavern, Hardway 8 and Juan’s Flaming Fajitas and Cantina on the North End.
We are proud of our heritage as well. The buildings the Emerald Island Casino occupies have housed many different businesses over time.
The Original Henderson Drug Store
The Henderson Post Office
And a series of failed casinos including the “Post Office Casino” and the “Pot of Gold”
Saturday, April 27th is also Steakhouse Saturday at the Emerald Island Grille. After a fun day on the Events Plaza celebrating Henderson’s Heritage join us for a great steak and stay to enjoy one of our over 450 slot games featuring the best selection your favorite games. We look forward to seeing you at the Emerald Island Casino – The Jewel of Henderson – Where Every Day is Promotion Day!